What Are Invisable Braces?
Having crooked teeth can be quite problematic for someone — both aesthetically and functionally. You may be embarrassed to smile with your mouth open or you may find good oral hygiene difficult. Invisalign may be able to help! As dentistry continues to evolve, more and more dental practices are implementing Invisalign into their practices. The results that are produced from these clear aligners make them one of the best orthodontic treatment options available today.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign are clear dental aligners that are used to straighten a person’s teeth. They are almost always removable and are custom created for each person. Invisalign aligners can be used for either the top set of teeth or the bottom — depending on the need.
Invisalign is one of many brands that creates and offers clear dental aligners to patients looking to straighten their teeth. They are a leading brand for clear aligners because they are efficient, simple, and produce great results.
What Causes a Need for Invisalign?
Invisalign aligners are typically needed when a person has crooked teeth. They may want to correct their uneven teeth for cosmetic purposes or for their oral health. Crooked teeth can cause a lot of problems within the mouth such as gum disease, tooth decay and even jawbone damage.
When one’s oral health is at risk, it is important to consider orthodontic treatments like Invisalign. If there is a lot of buildup of food in between crooked teeth, Invisalign may be needed. Food that is built-up can cause rapid decay, bad breath, and plaque to build along the gum lines. This is because crooked teeth make it more difficult for the bristles of your toothbrush and even floss to reach those tight areas. Over time, built-up bacteria can cause the mouth odor.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign offers a lot of benefits that other teeth straightening methods don’t. They include the following:
- Straightens crooked teeth
- Removable aligners
- Clear in color which is discreet
- Custom-created for each person
When a person gets fitted for Invisalign, it is important for them to be well-informed of what’s involved in wearing them. While they are relatively straightforward and simple, there are a few important things to note.
Invisalign aligners have to be worn at least 22 hours a day which can be difficult for some people, because they are removable. These clear aligners require quite a bit of discipline on the person’s part because without it, the aligners won’t be as effective.
It is also important to understand that Invisalign aligners still require good oral hygiene. The aligners can be rinsed with warm water or mouthwash each day. And, the natural teeth must also be cleaned twice a day, at least. Some people opt to brush their teeth after eating each meal to ensure that the aligners don’t get caked up with built-up food once they are put back on.
Flossing once a day and rinsing with mouthwash will also ensure that bacteria doesn’t build up in between teeth. Mouthwash will also keep the breath fresh which can be hard to maintain when wearing removable aligners such as Invisalign.
Why Invisalign and not Traditional Braces?
A lot of people that consider orthodontic treatment don’t just consider one option. Invisalign is not the only method of orthodontic treatment that exists! Both traditional braces and ceramic braces are available today too. So, why Invisalign and not braces?
Traditional metal braces consist of wires and brackets. The brackets are cemented to the front part of each tooth with a dental cement. Wires are then threaded through each bracket. Over time, the wires will work with the brackets to shift each tooth individually. Every few weeks, an orthodontist will go in and tighten the wires to adjust the way that they are threaded in between brackets. This tightening process is referred to as an adjustment and will help keep the teeth straight. Traditional braces are the most common method of orthodontic treatment because they have been around for many years.
Another common orthodontic treatment that compares to Invisalign is that of clear braces. Invisalign is similar to clear braces because they are both clear in color and much more discreet than traditional metal braces. However, clear braces are made of ceramics and they still require brackets and wires to be put in place within the mouth. Instead of metal brackets, clear braces use tooth-colored ceramic ones which allows for less attention to be drawn to the teeth. The wires that connect each bracket is also clear in color.
Traditional and clear braces function the same exact way, they just look different. Ceramic or clear braces are a bit pricier than traditional ones because ceramic materials aren’t cheap. However, both are much different than Invisalign aligners.
Invisalign doesn’t require brackets or wires — clear or metal. They are relatively simple and don’t draw nearly as much attention to the mouth. However, Invisalign requires a lot of discipline. The timeline for treatment depends solely on the person’s decision to wear or not to wear their aligners for the necessary time.
Deciding between Invisalign or braces comes down to the price, the look, the ease, and the patient! Most people are keen on having their orthodontic treatment be discreet. Invisalign aligners allow for almost 100% discreteness while both clear and traditional braces are still noticeable.
What is at Risk if I do not get Proper Treatment?
Healthy teeth are absolutely necessary in order to have a healthy mouth and body. Crooked teeth can result in excess buildup of plaque as well as a difficulty cleaning your teeth each day. Over time, this can affect the entire body in the following ways:
- Tooth decay
- Periodontal disease
- Bad breath
- Infection spreading to other parts of the body through the bloodstream
- Jawbone deterioration
Frequently Asked Questions: Invisalign
- Does Invisalign hurt? Invisalign aligners should not cause pain but with any orthodontic measure, some discomfort may be experienced. Discomfort comes from the teeth shifting into a straighter position. Any real pain may be abnormal and should be addressed by an orthodontist or dentist.
- Is there a good time to get Invisalign? Most orthodontic specialists recommend that people get Invisalign (or other orthodontic treatment methods) during their younger years. Young people such as adolescents still have teeth that are growing and changing. The root system of their teeth isn’t fully set in which makes it much easier for the teeth to shift.
- Is Invisalign expensive? Most orthodontic treatment methods can be pricey but the results tend to be worth it. Traditional braces and even clear ones are much more affordable than Invisalign but the ease of clear aligners often offsets the price. Skyline Dental Arts and many other dentist offices offer flexible payment plans so that patients can get the treatment that they need while also maintaining a safe budget.
- How long do I have to wear Invisalign? Each person’s mouth is different, meaning that there is no one answer for a timeline. Come in for a consultation and we can determine how long you should expect to wear Invisalign.
- Do I wear Invisalign while I eat? No! Invisalign aligners are to be taken out while eating and performing oral hygiene. However, these are the only times in which the aligners should be taken out.
- What happens if my Invisalign aligners break? Thankfully, each Invisalign aligner is part of a set. A person usually only wears a set of aligners for two weeks before tossing them for the next set. Like traditional braces, Invisalign aligners also are “adjusted” every few weeks. Except with aligners, new ones are just worn! If an aligner breaks during treatment, the dentist will likely just suggest moving on to the next set.
How can Skyline Dental Arts Straighten Your Crooked Teeth?
Fortunately, we have a team of well trained professionals to care for your dental needs. Let our caring team at Skyline Dental Arts get you on the path toward straight teeth and improved overall health. Give us a call at 540.513.4500 today and schedule an appointment.
After a thorough evaluation with our team, you may be able to get started with Invisalign aligners. It’s as simple as having impressions taken and then waiting! A dental lab will specifically create your Invisalign aligners for you so that they fit perfectly.
Every few weeks, you will switch out your aligners for a new set. These will help keep up with the progression that your teeth are making. An orthodontist or Invisalign specialist will also need to evaluate the progression to determine how much longer treatment is needed.
We have helped save patients’ teeth, and given them the smiles that they deserve and desire. However, the timeline will vary depending on each patient’s mouth. A well deserved and desired smile may take some time to achieve, but with the help of Skyline Dental Arts, that can happen, in no time at all!
We have had patients so excited about the treatment that they received from Skyline Dental Arts that they come back and tell us about their experience. It may be that their teeth are completely straight, or that when they chew, it is an even bite. Whatever it is, we are excited to be able to help people smile confidently each and every day.
If you are interested in Invisalign with us then reach out to our office today. We can get you scheduled for an appointment!